There’s ALWAYS room for dessert. Oh, don’t give me that “you can’t eat cupcakes because your diet” foolishness. You can eat this. And you should.
If you want a truly decadent chocolate cake or cupcake (however you feel like pouring the patter in the tin), this recipe is for you. And don’t worry about the calorie count. There are a lot of them. But everything in moderation. Don’t sit there and eat the whole batch. Share.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Sift together all your dry ingredients – minus the sugar (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder).
- Add bittersweet chocolate.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and then buttermilk.
- Add flour and beat until smooth.
- Bake in the oven for about 16 minutes (for cupcakes) and 30 minutes (for cakes) depending on your oven. Those baking times can vary. When your toothpick comes out clean, your cakes are ready.
This recipe yields about a dozen cupcakes or one 8″ round.
To garnish, I used strawberries because the red gives a really pretty contrast to the chocolate cake and buttercream.
(To make the chocolate buttercream blend a half cup of butter, with a half cup of shortening, three cups of confectioner’s sugar, a quarter cup of cocoa powder, and one tsp of vanilla. Pipe onto your finished cupcakes and decorate as you like.)